Friday

How to Milk a Chicken

Raw Chicken Milk

Our latest experiment was a great success, we figured out how to get milk from our chickens.
After thoroughly examining all of the chickens we determined that there is no spigot on a chicken that provides milk.  We had to go in search of such a spigot and found one in the hands of a very competent goat farmer, who keeps just a few pasture fed goats.  Since it is just as hard to get milk from chickens, as it is to get eggs out of a goat, we just made a deal with her, Eggs for Milk it was that simple.

The Goat herding, milk maid, served us each a sample. This was the first raw goats milk that we have ever tasted. It was one of those "where have you been all my life" kind of experiences. I had my first taste and felt it had a finer and cleaner taste than other milks. Jin's tastes were punctuated by quiet exclamations of enjoyment.  We have decided that we both Love goats milk.  The taste is not that different from other milk, but there are some qualities that I will try to describe.

Goats milk's molecules are five times smaller that that of cows milk.  I believe this is what I experienced as "finer".   There is still a richness so it isn't like it was a fat free sort of milk, not like skimmed. I was in the habit of using evaporated milk in regular drip brewed coffee, I have now stepped up to steamed goat milk in espresso,  It feels good to eliminate a bad habit like using evaporated milk.

I did a side by side test this morning. I had some of the raw goats milk, and then tried some 3% cows milk for comparison. The "regular" milk seemed thicker, had a heaver taste and left a coat on my tongue. The Goats Milk was less thick, yet with a rich, creaminess, that left no coating in my mouth, only a little clean sweet milkiness.  

This stuff is special, it just tastes healthier, and, it is in our opinion not for chugging down but for sipping, so that each sip can be enjoyed with the reverence it deserves.  It just doesn't seem right to drink it any faster than it leaves the goat. 


We are not going to reveal our source at this time, all but one of her goats are pregnant, so there is little more than a half gallon a day available.  The price of goats milk is very understandably higher than bulk milk from the store, as is anything that is hand crafted, but was well worth the price we paid, Real food for Real food.

We highly recommend giving raw goats milk a try, It must be purchased at a farm, because is illegal for a farmer to transport raw goats milk (at least it is here in Oregon ) and you won't find it advertised because goat farmers are prohibited from advertising this precious food. So, go out and find a goat herder in your area, If they don't have any raw milk for you, they will probably know another goat herder, because in order to get milk from a goat it must first kid. So goat farmers wind up knowing others, either because they have to find stud goats, or homes for the little ones.

Here are a few links, one is about the benefits of Raw Goats Milk, another is a link to nutritional information about Goats Milk and one last one that just might help you in your quest to find a Goat Herd near you.

As for us we have our source, at least until her chickens mature, but it looks like we are going to have to become goat owners. Raw goats milk is just that good.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's ridiculous to make it illegal to sell raw milk in the stores. I won't drink goat's milk but I'm happy you have a source! I once got in on some surplus raw cow's milk and while I didn't like it raw I did love making ricotta with it. Philip loved it (drinking the milk and using it in his coffee) and I'll bet he'd love the goat's milk too.

    ReplyDelete